Breckenridge Texan

Fire heavily damages local home Friday morning

Fire heavily damages local home Friday morning
January 05
12:51 2018

The Breckenridge Fire Department responded to another house fire Friday morning, Jan. 5, the seventh electrical fire in seven days, according to Fire Chief Calvin Chaney.

The fire, in the 1300 block of West First Street, heavily damaged the home, which is not inhabitable at this time, the chief said. No one was at home at the time of the fire.

“When we arrived, smoke was throughout and flames were coming out of the front of the house,” Chaney said. “It looks like, right now, it’s going to be an electrical short in the floor. The house has received heavy fire and heavy smoke damage. It’s not going to be able to be lived in.”

Thursday night, the BFD responded to two fires — a house fire and a trash pit fire — and a vehicle rollover within a 15-minute span. “Somebody was burning a trash pit, which is illegal during the burn ban anyway,” Chaney said. “What they had was a propane cylinder in the trash, and that blew up. So, everybody in the neighborhood called and thought a house or something had blown up.”

The house fire resulted in one person being transported to the hospital for smoke inhalation. Chaney said the house will be livable again once some repair work is done. No one was injured the vehicle accident.

The electrical fires have been caused by a variety of reasons, including heaters plugged into extension cords, old house wires and other issues.

“I know people have to use (space heaters), but — I cannot stress this enough — they have to be directly plugged into a wall plug,” the fire chief said. “They cannot be run off of an extension cord. It’s just not the smart thing to do.”

He said that some problems can be caused by houses having old wiring. Too many heaters plugged in — even if they are plugged directly into the wall sockets — can overload the circuit and cause a fire. “Those heaters pull way too much amperage,” he said. “That’s what we see on the older homes. In the newer homes, it’s those extension cords they’re running to them. They’re overheating and that’s what’s causing the fires.”

 

Story by Tony Pilkington/Breckenridge Texan

Cutline, top photo: Breckenridge firefighters battle a house fire in the 1300 block of West First Street on Friday morning, Jan. 5. The house was heavily damaged by smoke and fire and is uninhabitable at this time, Fire Chief Calvin Chaney said. (Photo by Tony Pilkington/Breckenridge Texan)

Print Friendly, PDF & Email

Support The Breckenridge Texan





Announcement

BRUSH PICKUP The City of Breckenridge and Stephens County will be picking up brush with a woodchipper inside the corporate limits of Breckenridge the week of Oct. 18. Residents need to have brush that they would like chipped and hauled off at curbside by Friday, Oct. 15. For questions about the disposal, please call the City Offices at (254)559-8287.

CORNHOLE TOURNAMENT The Breckenridge Lions Club will host its second annual Scholarship Cornhole Tournament beginning at 10 a.m. Saturday, Oct. 2, at the Trade Barn in the Breckenridge City Park. For more information click here.

ARTIST MEET-AND-GREET BRECKENRIDGE FINE ARTS CENTER The artistic quilts of Maynard Westlake are on exhibit at the Breckenridge Fine Arts Center through Nov. 2. The BFAC will host an artist meet-and-greet for Westlake from 2 to 4 p.m. Thursday, Sept. 30, at the BFAC, 207 N. Breckenridge Ave.

NATIONAL NIGHT OUT The Breckenridge Police Department will host a local National Night Out event from 6 to 8 p.m. Tuesday, Oct. 5, at the Law Enforcement Center, 210 E. Dyer St. National Night Out is an annual, national event that focuses on growing the partnership between law enforcement and the community in the fight against crime.

MEMORIAL BIKE RIDE The annual Sloan Everett Pure Country Pedal Memorial Bike Ride is scheduled for Saturday, Oct. 16, at the Breckenridge City Park. The event will begin at 8:30 a.m. and will feature five routes. For more information, visit the Breckenridge Chamber of Commerce’s website.

COMMUNITY-WIDE SIDEWALK AND GARAGE SALE The Breckenridge Chamber of Commerce is looking for garage sales and sidewalk sales to add to its list for the annual event on Saturday, Oct. 9. For more information, call 254-559-2301.

CREATION VS EVOLUTION PRESENTATION International speaker and author Jay Seegert will give a presentation, Creation vs Evolution, at the National Theatre, sponsored by St. Andrew’s Anglican Church. The event will be at 6:30 p.m. Saturday, Oct. 23, at the National Theater at 116 E. Walker St.

Archives

Title of the document Sign up for our
e-newsletter
Click Here