Breckenridge Texan

Structure fire in East Breckenridge sends one to hospital

Structure fire in East Breckenridge sends one to hospital
February 19
18:54 2019

A structure fire in the 300 block of South Dubois Street sent one person to the hospital on Tuesday afternoon, Feb. 19, according to officials.

The Breckenridge Fire Department responded with 12 firefighters, three fire trucks and other emergency vehicles. Sacred Cross EMS and the Breckenridge Police Department also responded to the fire about a block east of the City Park.

With temperatures barely above freezing and a light drizzle falling, Breckenridge firefighters battled the fire, which was in a storage building that was located behind a house on the corner of South Dubois Street and East Hullum. The fire apparently started when a woodburning stove caught a wall on fire. The firefighters used saws and other implements to ventilate the building, which didn’t have any windows, and allow the smoke and heat to dissipate, Breckenridge Fire Chief Calvin Chaney said.

“(The woodburning stove) was too close to combustibles, too close to that wood siding, and it just caught it on fire,” Chaney said.

No one was inside the structure when the fire broke out, but one man entered the building before firefighters arrived to try and save some items, the fire chief said. The man was burned on one ear. He was initially transported by ambulance to Stephens Memorial Hospital and later was taken to Parkland Hospital in Dallas.

“It’s not serious, but he does have a burn to one of his ears, and that’s why they were wanting to take him (to Parkland), just to make sure,” Chaney said. “That’s the only place he was burned, was his ear. There was no smoke inhalation or anything like that.”

Breckenridge firefighters use a saw to ventilate a storage building that caught fire Tuesday afternoon. The building didn’t have any windows, and the firefighters had to cut into the walls to allow the heat and smoke to dissipate. (Photo by Tony Pilkington/Breckenridge Texan)

Story by Tony Pilkington and Carla McKeown/Breckenridge Texan

Cutline, top photo: Breckenridge firefighters battled a fire in the 300 block of South Dubois Street on Tuesday afternoon. One person received burns to his ear, according to Breckenridge Fire Chief Calvin Chaney. (Photo by Tony Pilkington/Breckenridge Texan)

Print Friendly, PDF & Email

Support The Breckenridge Texan


Title of the document Sign up for our
Click Here
Verified by MonsterInsights