Breckenridge Texan

Local TxDOT office display recognizes National Work Zone Awareness Week

Local TxDOT office display recognizes National Work Zone Awareness Week
April 11
16:50 2018

With construction and road repairs affecting many streets in and around Breckenridge, local residents are familiar with the orange cones and lower speed limits that accompany work zones. In recognition of National Work Zone Awareness Week, April 9-13, the Stephens County office of Texas Department of Transportation has a display and sign posted to remind drivers to drive safely in the work zones.

The statewide TxDOT office reminds drivers that every day requires caution when driving through work zones. In 2017, work zone fatalities in Texas increased 9 percent over the previous year, resulting in 199 deaths and 813 serious injuries, according to a TxDOT news release. With 4 percent of those fatalities being road crew workers, the remaining 96 percent included motorists, pedestrians and bicyclists.

“We always urge drivers to exercise great caution and obey traffic laws, especially in work zones,” said TxDOT Executive Director James Bass. “Doing so helps ensure everyone – motorists and work crews – gets home safely to their loved ones.”

As the state’s population continues to boom, the price of progress can mean more than 2,500 active TxDOT work zones at any given time. The leading causes of statewide work zone crashes – speeding and driver inattention – are usually preventable. Fines in work zones double when workers are present and can cost up to $2,000.

“Roadside crews often work only a few feet from fast-moving traffic,” Bass said. “Driver vigilance is paramount to ensuring the safety of everyone in the work zone. We urge anyone driving through a work zone to minimize distractions, give their full attention to the road and be prepared to slow down or stop on short notice.”

As part of its ongoing Work Zone Awareness campaign, TxDOT also reminds drivers of the Move Over/Slow Down law, which requires drivers to move over or slow down when approaching TxDOT crews, law enforcement, emergency vehicles or tow trucks stopped on the roadside or shoulder with flashing blue or amber lights. Failure to do so can result in fines up to $2,000.

To further help raise awareness about the need for driver responsibility in work zones, TxDOT is partnering with Austin-based Texas Mutual Insurance Company to spread the campaign message around the state. An integral part of Texas Mutual’s mission – helping employers prevent workplace incidents and minimizing their consequences – aligns with TxDOT’s Work Zone Awareness efforts.

Cutline, top photo: A display of orange cones and a sign remind drivers to drive safely in work zones are posted in front of the Stephens County TxDOT office, located on U.S. Highway 180 East, in the midst of a construction zone. April 9-13 is National Work Zone Awareness Week. (Photo by Tony Pilkington/Breckenridge Texan)

 

Support The Breckenridge Texan

Paid Political Ad Policy

The Breckenridge Texan’s policies allow for the inclusion of paid political ads on the website, www.breckenridgetexan.com. The ads do not reflect the views of, or serve as an endorsement by, the Breckenridge Texan website or its staff or leadership. The Breckenridge Texan does not endorse political candidates or parties.

 

The Breckenridge Texan is dedicated to evenhanded news reporting of political activities, events, and statements. The Breckenridge Texan accepts political advertising without bias or regard to party or candidate. The Breckenridge Texan has the responsibility to reject material that is libelous, obscene, or fraudulent or that does not otherwise meet its standards.

 

When paid political ads are running, a copy of this policy will be posted on the front page of the website in the right column.

 

All paid political ads will be clearly marked with the statement “Political ad paid for by (Name of Person Paying for Ad),” as required by the Texas Elections Law.