Breckenridge Texan

Breckenridge man injured in house fire on North Miller

Breckenridge man injured in house fire on North Miller
January 29
12:44 2018

A local man was injured as he escaped his burning home next to Breckenridge High School this morning, Monday, Jan. 29. The house was mostly destroyed by the flames and was torn down as firefighters worked to fully extinguish the blaze.

Breckenridge firefighters spray down a smoldering house in the 400 block of North Miller Street on Monday morning. (Photo by Tony Pilkington/Breckenridge Texan)

The Breckenridge Fire Department responded to the burning house in the 400 block of North Miller Street – across from Bailey Auditorium – shortly after 7 a.m., Fire Chief Calvin Chaney said. On the scene, they found the resident outside the home with injuries. Sacred Cross Emergency Medical Services transported him to Stephens Memorial Hospital.

All three of the BFD’s pumper trucks and at least three smaller fire trucks were utilized to fight the fire and prevent it from spreading to other structures in the area.

Chaney said he asked the City of Breckenridge’s Water Department to bring a backhoe to the scene to tear down the remains of the structure down because the attic was already destroyed and the rest of the house was falling in.

“To get it fully extinguished, we needed to pull it apart,” Chaney said. “There was too much damage to try and save it. It was too dangerous for us to go inside it because all of the roofing had collapsed.”

The fire chief said the fire started in the attic of the house.

The Breckenridge Police Department assisted, blocking off portions of North Miller Street and West Lindsey Street near the high school as students and staff were arriving for classes.

The extent of the resident’s injuries are unknown at this time but are not believed to be life threatening.

A house on North Miller Street, across from Bailey Auditorium at Breckenridge High School, is in flames Monday morning, Jan. 29, as seen in this aerial shot. (Photo courtesy of Dwayne Dove – Dove Aerial Photo & Video)

Breckenridge firefighters hose down a house across from Bailey Auditorium Monday morning as an employee from the City’s Water Department uses a backhoe to tear down the walls. (Photo by Tony Pilkington/Breckenridge Texan)

Story by Tony Pilkington and Carla McKeown

Cutline, top photo: A house on North Miller Street is fully engulfed in flames early Monday morning as a Breckenridge firefighter battles the blaze. One person was injured in the fire, and the house was completely destroyed. (Courtesy Photo)

Print Friendly, PDF & Email

Support The Breckenridge Texan


Title of the document Sign up for our
Click Here
Verified by MonsterInsights